Thursday, June 25, 2009

Beauty Over Brains?







vs.










Today, for about the 4th or 5th time since I've been in Italy (and probably the 7,489,213th time in my life), I was told I'm actually smarter than I look. I wonder if people think that's a compliment, whether they think it's funny, or whether they just don't think at all when they say it.

Personally, I don't find it flattering when someone tells me in so many words, "Wow! You look like an idiot, so I'm impressed your brain actually functions!"

Thanks guys...I appreciate it. I wonder if I'll have to dye my hair brown and wear a sports bra and Birkenstocks to be taken seriously. It's the Elle Woods syndrome all over again.

Speaking of the topic, I was also voted to have the 2nd best boobs in ARCA, beat out only by a 30ish year old skinny blonde British woman with distractingly massive DDs. The winner was obvious, though some voted in favor of proportion over sheer size.

While being asked about the legitimacy of my anatomy (sorry everyone...no implants here), I couldn't help but think: Gee, it's great to know that everyone is staring at my chest instead of listening to what I'm saying.

But don't get me wrong! Flattery is always appreciated and being a girl involved in pageants and modeling, compliments on my figure never go unheard.

HOWEVER, the point of this entire spiel is...why does everyone take the British girl seriously and not me?! No one tells her they are surprised when she says something intelligent! Is it age? Experience? Quite frankly, I've decided it must be the accent. ;-) There's just something about a British accent that ups the intrinsic value of a comment and makes it sound more intelligent, classy, and just downright excellent to listen to.

My new strategy: become British!

I say all of these things in good humor (with a very real slight frustration) at my acceptance that I will always be underestimated and forced to prove myself. C'est la vie.

In other news, look for an upcoming blog with EXCELLENT and hilarious pictures from our trip to the Monster Park! Intrigued? You should be. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Little turquoise packages wrapped with white ribbons say "expensve & tasteful"...blondes simply "have more fun" and "diamonds are a girl's best friend"...There is no axiom for blonde and smart. Face it, Like Dr. Birch once told us, if you are in the top 99% of intellect/grades/your class, it means that only 1% are above you in the same categories...so you are dealing with the 99% of those not in your group. They just don't have the processing skills outside of their boxes to understand what good looking and smart is....either that or you TRULY look like a moron!!!! xoxox m

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2ND???????? C'mon Rose, I know you can do better than that!!! Haha, but seriously, a graduate program filled with people well out of their 20's was actually voting on best boobs?? I'm down with the british accent thing, not only do they make you sound hot, there is just something classy about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I have found the most perfect woman to spend the rest of my life with. I am truly lucky and blessed to have found someone with the qualities that most dream to attain. I love you, Harasyn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had the same thing said to me many times! Even my teacher told a possible employer at an accounting event "she's smarter than she looks!"

    To all of you people that think you can't be smart AND beautiful: you can go suck it... and keep being jealous! :)

    Love You Twin!

    PS- sorry it took so long for me to make an account and be able to comment lol. miss you!!

    PPS- my stupid account isn't supposed to say my dumb email address when I post but it is....

    ReplyDelete