Wednesday, June 3, 2009

First Day of Class

Recap of last night: Orientation went pretty brief. Noah Charney presented some general info, and Mom, the answer to your question is no, definitely not. Those pictures were deceiving...though some were fairly truthful. You know what I mean.

I met all the other students. My hopes of being the young and cute one to get connections easily were instantly crushed when I saw my classmates. The info that I am significantly younger was false. About half the class consists of girls age 22-28, all of whom are very attractive, outgoing, and intelligent. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be relating to them very well. I think it has to do with the fact that I am living with the family. It has its pros and cons. On the pro side, I get my meals all made, I'm (sort of) learning Italian, I'm the only one who has internet, I get to experience how Italians actually live and meet other Italian people (especially those my age), I can have access to their vehicle (not drive, but get rides), Isa will do my laundry if I choose, etc etc. However, I don't get to bond with the other students who are struggling together trying to figure out how to grocery shop, locate a laundromat, and scavenge for meals during siesta. Many of them live together, so their social lives correspond more, while I return to my home for meals and in the evenings, missing much of this. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Class today was a terrible bore for me. We have started with a basic intro to art history beginning in Classical Greece, moving form Archaic to Classical (skipping Hellenistic, and ignoring the Corinthian order altogether), and proceeding onto Etruscan which is very relevant to the area we are living in. However, I just took my final exams in this exact subject 3 weeks ago and I swear I could be teaching it. I know what the professors are going to say before they even say it. Even with some real Italian coffee in me (which is DELICIOUS by the way) I had problems staying awake and instead wrote notes with Patrick who is this older man that has some GIANT weird growth on his elbow that he keeps trying to scare us girls with...and man it works!

We have class in this library that is right next door to a museum that we will be going to tomorrow. Then, in the evening, the mayor is throwing us a big gala with some traditional flag throwing routine thing. I think my Italian brother Adriano has been doing that since he was 4...or that's what I got from the translation. Then on Friday, Patrick and Allen are throwing a cocktail party at their huge apartment (everyone has GIANT fantastic places to live) with 3 garden terraces, so that should be fun. Saturday we are going on a field trip to Rome where we will spend the day touring museums, etc, including the Galleria Borghese which was recommended to me by the lab manager from Dominican as one of the best treasures Rome has to offer, with exhibits in very open displays in close proximity to the viewers and including some of Italia's greatest artworks including multiple pieces by Bernini, Raphael, Carvaggio, and Rubens, just to name a few. It should be a great day!

For tonight, I must buy a new hair straightener...mine exploded even though it worked fine the first couple times...and an Italian cell phone with prepaid minutes so that I can call my classmates. The weather is spectacular...warm but not too hot...and partly cloudy with a breeze. What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

  1. "Despues de pasar un verrano aqui, hablara como un loro!" At least you will get an ancestral overlook that the others won't have. I love the little stories....keep the faith. xoxox m

    ReplyDelete