Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Getting into the swing of things

Now that I have been here for 10 days, I'm beginning to get into the swing of things. So much for telling us we weren't going to have homework because we are in class all day long, 6 days a week! I've had plenty so far! One of our teachers is absolutely insane and is obviously not a teacher on a regular basis, and she has given us these large packets that take hours to do. Let me remind you she only teaches us for 6 days total while we are having 6 days with 2 other teachers simultaneously. And she is not very clear in what she requires/is asking for. It's a giant pain. And she yells at us all the time. It's quite easily the silliest thing yet. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited to move onto the next subject.

This weekend I went up to the church here in Amelia and was completely floored at how gorgeous it is. It's as huge and beautiful and lavishly decorated as any in Rome. Though it was a Sunday, the church was empty except for our group (Alan, Patrick, and me!) and the priest who was playing a giant organ that filled the whole building with way creepy but super awesome church music.


The church on the top of the hill in Amelia

Torre Civica...aka Civic Tower...right next to the church

"hearing" Patrick's confession...though it kinda looks like he's peeing. How much more sacrilegious could we get??

Just outside the church. Nice view of Amelia!

That evening was also the wine festival, so we hit that up for 7 euros! All day free wine and snacks from different vendors, and they made bread almost EXACTLY like the figassa my mom makes! I almost died and ate a giant basket of it :-) When you go in, they give you a wrist bracelet like they do at bars, and a big wine glass with a like neck strap holder thing so you can carry around your wine in a pouch like a kangaroo. People were there literally all day long! I, however, only stayed for a couple hours and then went to watch my Italian father Antonio's band perform at Porcelli, our favorite pizzeria. I have to say Italian pizza is probably the best thing ever! Combine that with wine (straight from the festival in our pouches because of no open container policies) and pizza and jazz, and that's quite the night!

Wine Festival!

Antonio's band. He's the one playing the saxophone!

Random picture of my front door...soon you will see pics of my house, I promise!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like your front door is a secret hideout. Love the miniature car!!! The pictuers are great...keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you may be going to hell for that 3rd picture.... Don't worry I'll keep you company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that's what I'm saying! The doors just like...appear in the wall! And you can see the edge of the neighbor's door by the front of the car! All really close together, but inside the house is HUGE and 3 stories!

    ReplyDelete